Nov 30, 2016 by Luke Ries
There’s a lot to worry about in our daily lives, but how often do we think about our own home being a potential source of harm? Unfortunately, it may be something you want to consider immediately – all because of a poisonous gas called carbon monoxide, also known as “the silent killer.”
Carbon monoxide fumes are generated by incomplete combustion, from a wide range of potential fuel-burning sources, such as furnaces, chimneys, generators, space heaters, and motor vehicle exhaust. Once these fumes – which are odorless, colorless and invisible – collect in a given space, those in close proximity are at risk of being poisoned, as CO prevents the body’s ability to carry oxygen. Inhaling even small amounts of CO can cause flu-like symptoms and nausea, whereas mild and extensive exposure can lead to unconsciousness, brain damage, and even death. In fact, it’s estimated that there are nearly 430 deaths caused by carbon monoxide poisoning each year.
So how exactly does one fight this enemy that can’t be seen? Fortunately, there are a few preventive measures that you and your aging loved ones can take to minimize the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can come in an instant, without warning or much indication, and it doesn’t take much to be life-threatening. But that doesn’t mean you or your loved ones have to live in fear. Put the steps above into action to stay safe and out of harm’s way.
Comfort Keepers’ compassionate, professional, in-home caregivers can also help your aging loved ones. Whether they require around-the-clock care or just a few hours of companionship throughout the week, we are ready to make a difference in their lives.